When you were a kid, your parents might’ve tucked you into bed and uttered the common phrase, “sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite.”
This age-old line is usually nothing more than an alternative way to tell someone to have a good night’s sleep, but for one elderly woman in Hanover, Pennsylvania, it became a horrifying reality that led to her death.
96-year-old Mary Stoner was living with her personal caregiver Deborah Butler until her family started to see a severe decline in the aging woman’s health and had her removed from Butler’s home.
Just two days later, Stone was taken to the hospital with severe sores and an infection believed to have been caused by bed bugs.
Sadly, Stoner soon died. An autopsy revealed that her cause of death was complications of sepsis following bed bug bites.