1. On The Hills, you were all portrayed living fairly wealthy lives. Was your salary from the show enough to keep up with the lifestyle that MTV wanted you to live up to?
Heidi: MTV wanted to downplay our lifestyles and pretend we weren’t getting the checks that we actually were, so I think that was the blurry line between the lives we were really living and the lives that they wanted us to live, and things like that.
2. Lauren’s car suddenly changed from a BMW convertible to a Mercedes convertible without explanation. Did the show buy her a new car, or was that her own doing?
Heidi: The show definitely bought Lauren a car through her paycheck, so I think she wanted to upgrade from a BMW to a Mercedes.
3. Did some cast members make more than others?
Heidi: Cast members did all make different salaries, so we wanted to do like Jersey Shore and unite together and all get a bigger paycheck, but everyone was a little bit too divided. I think that would’ve been the smarter thing for everyone to do at the time, but that’s not what happened. I mean, obviously Lauren got paid the most — it was her show. She was driving from Laguna to the Hills…
4. Speaking of cast members, what happened to Brian, Jordan, and the dog that Jordan gave you for Christmas?
Heidi: I don’t know what happened to Brian and Jordan, honestly. The dog that I was given on The Hills for Christmas is with my best friend’s family, and Bella lives the most posh, luxurious life in this mansion by the pool. I think Bella has a better life than even I do now.
5. Throughout the entire series, we never saw anyone wear the same outfit twice. Did MTV style you, or did you have to buy your own wardrobe?
Heidi: During The Hills, we were not allowed to wear outfits twice, so I asked [MTV] to supply me with a wardrobe, but apparently I had to buy it all myself.
6. What about hair and makeup? Did you have to do that yourself before filming, or did MTV do that for you?
Heidi: Hair and makeup we had to do ourselves, so obviously I had no budget in Season 1 and 2, and then I started getting it done for about Season 3 and on.
7. The cast was underage during the start of The Hills, but we always saw you partying at Les Deux. How did you get into the club and what were you all drinking?
Heidi: When we were all at Les Deux we were drinking whatever we could get our hands on. I’m sure it was probably Jack Daniel’s, Jäger. Water was NOT what we were drinking. We got in because I did work for Bolthouse and who doesn’t want some hot, young, fun girls in their club?
8. Along with inconsistencies, why did you and Lauren’s apartment change between seasons, even though you guys allegedly didn’t move?
Heidi: I honestly have no idea why they pretended we didn’t move apartments. I didn’t even know that until right now, really. Yes — we moved! From The Villas to The Palazzo.
9. You received a promotion at Bolthouse over Elodie, which caused a lot of drama. Did you really earn it, or was that just scripted?
Heidi: I definitely did not get the promotion over Elodie! She really worked there and I pretend worked there, so it was obviously a pretend promotion for her to be upset about. That whole plot was scripted.
10. What happened to Elodie?
Heidi: I don’t know what happened to her! I think she has like a soap line or something? I’m not sure.
11. In Season 3, Spencer graffitied all over a white wall in your apartment. Did he really do that himself, or was it someone else? And did your landlord know about it?
Heidi: Spencer had our apartment graffitied and the landlord was not allowed in at that time. We just painted it over with white paint so we weren’t fined because I’m sure that would’ve been expensive. Spencer had his friend Eric, who is a professional graffiti artist, come in and do that.
12. In Season 6, you and Spencer moved into a house. Was your young neighbor Enzo actually a child actor, and why did you throw a birthday party for him?
Heidi: In season 6 [Spencer and I] allegedly moved into a house, which was Enzo’s house, so he wasn’t a neighbor. We were, you know, in the other part of his house. And I think we threw him a party to add a storyline or something — I’m not really sure. Surprise! Heidi’s baby-crazy!
13. Did you know Enzo and his family before you moved in, or was that all set up for you?
Heidi: No, we didn’t really move into that house in Season 6. We lived in our own house in the Palisades.
14. Do you still talk to Enzo?
Heidi: I don’t talk to Enzo, but honestly he’s like the cutest kid I’ve ever seen in my life and obviously he was a child actor! He did a great job.
15. When was the last time you spoke to Lauren?
Heidi: The last time I spoke to Lauren was a few years ago. Like two or so. We kind of were talking a little and then we both were kind of like, “We’re not friends.” It’s kind of awkward. But I do really love Lauren for everything that she has done for me and I do have a place in my heart for her. So I am thankful for everything that she’s done and I hope she has a great life.
16. During Lauren’s last season, she was pretty adamant that she wasn’t going to attend your wedding. However, during the finale, she did show up. Do you think she actually wanted to come, or did the producers make her do it?
Heidi: I know Lauren did not want to come to my wedding, and I was shocked when I saw her. That was real, and I was like, “Wow! You’re here! This is crazy. They must’ve paid you a lot to come here!” I think they had both Lauren and Kristin [Cavallari] there to kind of pass on the baton and show that Kristin was the new head bitch in charge.
17. If Lauren’s sex tape rumor never started, do you think you would still be as good of friends as you were?
Heidi: The sex tape rumor had nothing to do with me, that’s why it’s so weird. It’s like, if you have a sex tape, that’s up to you. I want nothing to do with it. I think that the riff between Lauren and I was inevitable with where our lives were going. She wanted me to kind of be single with her and be with her all the time, and it just wasn’t possible.
18. If you could do it all over again on The Hills, is there anything you would change? Any major regrets?
Heidi: If I had to do The Hills all over again, I would definitely have stood my ground more with Lauren and just have her be more honest with me. It was really hard getting her to agree to film with me and then once I got there, having her be honest with me. It was just a really challenging time, so I’m a much stronger and different person now, so I feel like I could go more toe-to-toe.
19. So Lauren didn’t want to film with you at all?
Heidi: So originally once Lauren and I split she didn’t really want to film together, and I would have to, like, find her at the bar and be like, “Hey, Lauren!” and she’d, like, run away. I just thought we were too good of friends for her to be playing me out on TV like that.
20. Was there one scene or storyline that you think you were unfairly edited in?
Heidi: I think the whole show is unfairly edited! I call for a redo, please! Honestly, I haven’t watched most of The Hills, so I really don’t know what made it, what didn’t. But I’m sure nothing too important is missing.
21. Will we ever get any new music from you?
Heidi: I’ve spent, like, over a million dollars on that Superficial album, so you will not be getting new music from me unless you’d like to GoFundMe.
22. Do you know what you did?
Heidi: Oh, I know what she did! That’s for sure. I didn’t do anything.
Watch the full interview here:
As for Heidi’s relationship with her mom Darlene since The Hills? Things are getting better!
Heidi: My relationship with my mom has really evolved since The Hills. We had a very hard time getting through that, and I didn’t talk to her for almost two years, but since then we have learned to get over the past and move forward.